Sunday, September 14, 2008

30th of July

Earlier today I happened to overhear a conversation about blood types. It was incredibly exciting.

When I was in Sweden last year I accidentally found some old note saying what my blood type was. It’s something everyone should know, really, but I can’t say I’ve ever given it much thought. But now, thinking back, I’m pretty sure it said that I was an AB type. And furthermore I’m fairly convinced it said I was a negative – AB minus.

Now, this is what suddenly made the conversation so interesting. Apparently only 0,something % of the population has got that specific combination! In other words – I’m a minority!


I was beginning to wonder whether I was entitled to some sort of special rights or unlimited free ice cream if I voluntarily gave blood, and if maybe I had some odd trait in common with all other AB negatives? Maybe this was why I’d never really liked apples?
Maybe we all love water lilies or enjoy an occasional cup of coffee? Maybe we’re all Pisceans!

I spent several minutes fantasising about AB negatives taking over the world, infiltrating the governments of the G8 and every university, military institution or coffeehouse in all major cities. I felt I was on to something big.

Later I was meeting up with a friend of mine and I had decided that I was gonna let her in on my plans. I knew the other AB negatives probably wouldn’t like it, but after all, we had to recruit. And I was hoping her to be of the same blood type as me, cos if I was gonna rule the world, I wanted to do it with her. It would be so much fun. We would be grilling and drinking beer and climb trees in Parliament square.

-“No, my blood group is 0”.
-“What? 0? That’s the most common group of them all. That’s the most common group of them all!
-“Well, I’m sorry my blood isn’t cooperating with your weekend plans..”


I could detect a slightly sarcastic smirk on her lips in combination with a raised eyebrow, but I put that down to defence mechanisms. After all, she must have been pretty disappointed.
I decided to tred lightly.

But you see, I’m generous with things like that. Always have been. I don’t gloat when I win a game of monopoly or a tossed coin. And if I get more pop corn in my bucket than my mate does when going to the cinema, I try to look sad. And more often than not, I try to involve tears.

-“But there’s nothing wrong with being a 0. Not really. You don’t have to feel embarrassed. There’s nothing to be ashamed about..” (I tried patting her in a comforting way on her shoulder.)
-“Err…I’m not!!”

Some people’s defence system is more highly integrated into their behaviour than others.
It’s all about anxiety and fear. I understand.

-“Maybe you should check that you actually ARE having this super elite power blood before you start organising groups and armies and stuff. I mean, imagine how stupid you would look if you turned out to be just a pretty ordinary AB positive or even a lame 0…?”

The girl has got a point! I’m prepared to admit that. I’d better look into this before taking further steps and going global. I mean, in the end of the day, no one wants to look stupid or crazy or anything. But watch this space..


By the way, I went to a meeting with a writer’s group I’ve joined yesterday. There wasn’t any actual writing going on – it was a social event – but we played little word games in between the pints and I have to say I had a really good time! Unfortunately I’ll be in Sweden at the time of the next meeting, but after that I’ll definitely be back for more! =)

No comments: