Monday, July 14, 2008

It’s the national day of France!


Haven’t been back to Paris for quite some time actually. Went to St Malo and Le Mont Saint Michel with Joanna and Esther last Easter, but not to Paris.

If I was in Paris today I’d probably get a picnic and go to Parc de Bercy. I love that park. It’s absolutely magical. In a way it doesn’t really make sense. It’s the sort of park you’d dream up or fantasise about, but wouldn’t expect to exist in reality.


In fact, thinking about it, I think most of my favourite places in most cities involve parks in some way or another. When I was in New York I completely fell in love with Central Park and I tried to spend at least a short time every day in there. It’s absolutely gigantic! And I just loved the Swedish cottage! :D


In fact there is one area in there, that really makes you feel as if you’re in Sweden. It’s got a little pine forest with tiny cliffs scattered around and it smells just divine. I spent a whole afternoon there, just reading, sunbathing, having lunch.

And unfortunately I can’t say London has got anything to match it. I’ve been whinging about this for something that probably feels like an eternity, but they still haven’t sorted it out! Hyde Park is boring. Yeah, sure, they’ve got a little lake, but so what – I’ve seen sinks more exciting than that. The only nice places in there is The Italian Gardens and Lady Dianas fountain (cos you’re allowed to “swim” in it!). But…well, that somehow isn’t enough.




But whatever, what’s the point in having nice parks in a city where it only rains anyway? I can see the logic.

Anyway – Vive la France! ;-)

No comments: